CHRISTMAS PINWHEEL COOKIES
Christmas Pinwheel Sugar Cookies are fun festive and incredibly easy to make. This simple recipe will have you enjoying these tasty treats in no time. It is so easy you can use your favorite recipe or mine. Even store bought dough will work in a pinch.
- your favorite sugar cookie dough
- red food coloring (gel is best)
- Christmas nonpareil sprinkles (they are the little balls)
- Separate dough into 2 halves. Add red food coloring to one half. Add 1/2 of your cookie dough to a stand mixer and add red food coloring until your mixture reaches your desired color. You can also knead food coloring into dough until completely combined if you do not have a stand mixer.
- Place red cookie dough on parchment paper. Roll red cookie dough to about 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Set aside.
Place plain cookie dough on parchment paper (or wax paper). Roll plain cookie dough out to about 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Stack cookie dough sheets on top of one another with the parchment on the outside.
- Remove the top parchment and roll over the dough gently with a rolling pin (to help the 2 doughs become one). Begin on one end and roll the cookie dough into a log (removing the remaining paper as you go). If dough is too soft to work with, refrigerate for 30 minutes and then try again.
- Once dough is formed into a log, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile: pour sprinkles into a cookie sheet. Unwrap dough and roll into sprinkles. Rewrap and refrigerate 3 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Slice cookies and place on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake according to your sugar cookie directions or until the cookies feel set.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.