[delay +9 days]
PALEO & KETO PAD THAI WITH SHIRATAKI NOODLES
KEYWORD: KETO PAD THAI, PAD THAI SHIRATAKI NOODLES, PALEO PAD THAI
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
CALORIES: 265 KCAL
Whip up this low carb, paleo & keto pad Thai in just 15 minutes for true and incomparable traditional flavors! Make it with shrimp or chicken (or both!) for an ideal keto weeknight meal.
- 1 package shirataki fettuccini noodles *
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons xylitol or erythritol
- 1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses optional**
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice to taste***
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil for cooking
- 2 cloves garlic minced or ran through a press
- 200 g fresh shrimp or chicken
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 30 g bean sprouts
- 3 green onions finely sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves torn
- 35 g unsalted peanuts lightly toasted & roughly chopped
- lime wedges
TO PREPARE THE SHIRATAKI NOODLES
- We think best to follow manufacturer’s instructions (albeit rinse for a little longer until the konjac plant aroma goes away). So it’s easy peasy: drain the noodles, rinse well in cold water, place in boiling water for two minutes, then dry the noodles in a non-oiled pan over medium heat. Set aside.
FOR THE KETO PAD THAI
- Whisk together thoroughly in a small bowl fish sauce, coconut aminos, sweetener and red pepper flakes or cayenne. Add lime juice to taste, starting at 2 tablespoons.
- Heat up oil in a skillet or pan over medium heat. Add in garlic and sautée briefly until it just starts to brown. Add in shrimp and cook for 2-5 minutes on each side (depending on their size), until just cooked through. Pile the shrimp on the edge of the pan.
- Pour in the lightly beaten eggs and continue to cook, stirring them to scramble, until solid but still moist and tender.
- Pour in the prepared sauce and mix briefly until the shrimp and scrambled eggs are evenly coated. Add in prepared noodles, tossing to coat in the sauce. Add soy sprouts and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro and peanuts. Serve immediately with fresh lime.
*Or use whatever shape of shirataki noodles you have around.
** Pad Thai is traditionally made with brown sugar, and so adding a touch of molasses to your sweetener will do just that (with minimal carb impact). Having said that, you can always skip it or use a brown sugar substitute such as Sukrin Gold.
*** Traditional pad thai uses tamarind paste, and it does
Please note that nutrition facts were estimated using shrimp and peanuts.
Paleo & Keto Pad Thai With Shirataki Noodles
Amount Per Serving
Calories 265Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g40%
Vitamin A 240IU5%
Vitamin C 8.6mg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.